The 22nd (Cheshire) Regiment
The first Depot, as it is known today, was shared with The 23rd (Royal
Welch Fusiliers) at Chichester from 1855 until 1871 when the Regiment established
its own Depot at the Castle in Chester.
It remained at the Castle until 1940, when it was moved to The Dale on
the other side of Chester. In 1941 it was absorbed into 24 Machine Gun
Training Centre until 24 MGTC was disbanded after World War Two. The Depot
remained at The Dale until 1961 when Regimental Depots were abolished and
Brigade Depots established. The Cheshire Regiment joined the Staffordshire,
Worcestershire and Sherwood Forester Regiments at the Mercian Brigade Depot
in Whittington Barracks, Lichfield, to become in 1968, the Prince of Wales's
Division Depot, serving the then nine Regiments of the Division (Devon
and Dorset, Cheshire, Royal Welch Fusiliers, Royal Regiment of Wales, Gloucestershire,
Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters, Royal Hampshire, Staffordshire,
Duke of Edinburgh's Royal Regiment).
The Depot was the Regiment's Headquarters until Regimental Depots disappeared
in 1961 when a separate Regimental Headquarters (RHQ) was established in Chester
Castle, where it is today. Manned by two retired 22nd Regiment
Officers and two civilian staff, it looks after, on behalf of the Colonel
of the Regiment, the affairs of the Regiment. It has little military
function. It can be described as the ‘soul’ of the Regiment.
All ranks can spend much of their service away from the 1st or 3rd (Volunteer)
Battalions. The 1st Battalion continually moves from one station
to another. To all those serving and those retired from active service,
RHQ is their Regimental ‘home’, their link with other members and their
link with the County.
Whilst the Depot was in Chester Castle a Museum was started in the
Agricola Tower. When the Depot moved to The Dale the Museum remained where
it was until 1969 when it was moved to its present position under RHQ in
A Block. It joined with 3rd Carabiniers, Cheshire Yeomanry and later 5th
Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards to become the Cheshire
Military Museum. The Museum is a Registered Charity No 272108.
The following is an extract from a recent edition of The Oak Tree
(The Regimental magazine):
"This is your museum and it houses a considerable wealth of memorabilia,
but it is not getting the visitors it should. Do try to call in when you
are next in Chester. It is gradually being developed and there is
always something new to see. We are currently in a design stage prior
to the launch of a major bid for cash support in the form of an Appeal.
We will need at least half a million pounds sterling to really establish
ourselves and be able to generate sufficient income to be viable.
"The Museum will be primarily the showcase of the 22nd and the Yeomanry
but the Carabiniers and Skins are keeping a presence for old times sake.
To replace them, however, we have the green light to house Eaton Hall Officer
Cadet School of National Service fame and will also be developing the Korean
War links which are strong in The Regiment. It will be a truly excellent
modern Museum by the Millennium - or well on the way to it anyway!
We are raising some £350,000 to match our Heritage Lottery application
for a complete refurbishment for the Military Museum. We are looking
for donations from both companies and private individuals to assist us
in meeting this target.
"The link with University
College of Chester has come to fruition. We not only have two
BA courses using our facilities but also another MA group. The main
news however, was the launch of a fully booked part-time MA in Military
Studies under Dr Ronald Barr. This has proved a most satisfying project."
THE REGIMENTAL CHAPELS
On October lst, 1913, a Chapel for The Regiment, St. George’s Chapel,
was dedicated in the South Transept of Chester Cathedral.
It is a memorial to all ranks of The Regiment who had laid down their
lives for their sovereign and their country.
It contains among other things, the Roll of Honour Book, and Anderson
and Second World War Cenotaphs, old Colours, except those which are kept
in the Cheshire Military Museum or other Cheshire Churches.
Situated on the centre floor of the Agricola Tower in the medieval
Inner bailey of Chester Castle is the little Chapel of St. Mary de Catsro,
for many years the Chapel for the Regimental Depot. It continues
today as a Regimental Chapel used principally for baptisms. It is
open to view by the general public.
The Memorial Garden, situated on the South East side of Chester Cathedral,
contains the Cenotaph to those members of The Regiment who fell in the
Second World War, and which was dedicated and opened by the Colonel of
the Regiment in 1952. It is wholly maintained by The Regiment and it is
planted with The Cheshire Regiment rose. Also within the garden are
commemorative bench seats. To commemorate the Tercentenary in 1989,
the County Boroughs each presented a bench seat and the Regiment commissioned
The Memorial Garden
Almighty God, Lord and Giver of Life, guide we pray thee The Cheshire
Regiment with thine abundant grace, that as we wear the oak leaf in token
of loyalty and forget not the valour of those who have gone before, so,
being rooted in the love of Christ and of our brothers, we may not fall
away in time of temptation, but stand fast in the Faith and be strong like
the Oak, for the sake of the same Thy Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
THE CHESHIRE REGIMENT ROSE
Established in 1912, Fryer's
Nurseries have been growing and breeding world class roses for well
over 80 years. As the North of England's leading rose grower, they have
a valued history of accolades from around the world, stemming from the
Chelsea Flower Show to just about every major country worldwide.
THE CHESHIRE REGIMENT (Fryat) Hybrid Tea 1996
"Named for the famous Cheshire Regiment. Their rose is an extremely
vigorous apricot-salmon which bears a mass of beautiful, highly scented
blooms. As you would expect it is strong and sturdy with powerful,
disease resistant growth and a reliable production of flowers. An
appealing variety that we expect to be in great demand. For over
300 years the Cheshire Regiment has been associated with its county and
is the last remaining unamalgamated county title regiment. The tour
in Bosnia highlighted the strength of the infantry as a force for peace."
This page was created by Eardley Bryan.
Return to Cheshire Regiment
If you want to contact me, my e-mail address is